- 1 Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) appointed former Supreme Court judge BN Srikrishna to draft a data protection law
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) appointed former Supreme Court judge BN Srikrishna to draft a data protection law
Data protection is one of the right to privacy as data protection law will protect your personal information, which is collected, processed and stored by “automated” means or intended to be part of a filing system.
Sri Krishna committee on Data Protection Law will study various issues relating to data protection in India and make specific suggestions for the Central government to consider. It will also formulate principles to be considered for data protection in India and suggest a draft Data Protection Bill.
The government expects to frame a Data Protection Bill which will be along the lines of the “technology-neutral” draft Privacy Bill submitted by an earlier expert committee led by former Delhi High Court chief justice AP Shah
Sri Krishna committee on Data Protection Law -Need for Data Protection Law
A data protection law will thus necessarily regulate the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) which is responsible for maintaining Aadhaar data.
This becomes extremely relevant in the current Indian context as the Aadhaar debate is centred around the collection of citizens’ personal information.
Sri Krishna committee on Data Protection Law studies the following Areas
- First, what should be the security framework for any kind of digital payments?
- Two, the standards and liabilities of the service provider.
- Third, data privacy and confidentiality.
- Fourth, storage and access of data.
- If someone fails to comply, what penalty should apply, especially where details of millions of citizens