The Ministry of Agriculture has various extension services for disseminating the know-how of modern agricultural technologies throughout the country which also includes remote/rural areas by following ways:
• Through establishment of Agriculture Technology Management Agencies (ATMA) for introduction of new technologies to the farmers.
• Through Kisan Call Centres (KCC) for providing the information on modern technologies to the farming community through toll free, country vide common number 1800-180-1551 in local languages.
• Kisan Vigan Kendras (KVK) of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) are established with the aims at assessment, refinement and dissemination of modern technology to the farmers.
• Various agricultural technologies are being dissimientated through a network of Doordarshan National Channel, 18 Regional Kendras and 180 Narrowcasting Centres apart from 96 FM Radio Stations under “Mass media Support to Agricultural Extension” scheme.
The Ministry of Agriculture is also implementing various major schemes for promotion of farm mechanization as under:
• Macro Management of Agriculture (MMA);
• Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY);
• National Food Security Mission (NFSM); and
• National Horticulture Mission (NHM);
• Promotion and Strengthening of agricultural mechanization through training, testing and demonstrations.
Apart from these, Government is considering a Sub-Mission on agricultural Mechanization (SMAM) for promoting farm mechanization during 12th Five Year plan.
To promote farm mechanization amongst small and marginal farmer and to facilitate custom hiring facility, the Government is also considering providing assistance on procurement of agricultural machinery to establish custom hiring centres, to individual Entrepreneurs, Self Help Group (SHG)/ User Groups (UG) of farmers, Cooperative Societies etc