Narcotics Control Bureau is the apex coordinating agency in fight against Illicit Drugs
The Narcotics Control Bureau is the apex coordinating agency. It also functions as an enforcement agency through its zones and other-zones.
Zones located at Ahmedabad, Bangaluru, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Indore, Jammu, Jodhpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, and Patna.
Sub-zones located at Ajmer, Amritsar, Bhubaneswar, Dehradun, Goa, Hyderabad, Imphal, Mandsaur, Madurai, Mandi, Raipur, Ranchi and Thiruvananthpuram.
The zones and sub-zones collect and analyse data related to seizures of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substance, study trends, modus operandi, collect and disseminate intelligence and work in close cooperation with the Customs, State Police and other law enforcement agencies.
Narcotics Control Bureau – Constitutional Provisions
National Policy on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances is based on the directive principles contained in Article 47 of the Indian Constitution which directs that the State shall endeavour to bring about prohibition of the consumption, except for medicinal purposes, of intoxicating drugs injurious to health.
Narcotics Control Bureau – International Agreements
The government’s policy on the subject which flows from the above said constitutional provision is also guided by the international conventions on the subject. India is a signatory to :
- * Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs 1961 as amended by the 1972 Protocol.
- * Conventions on Psychotropic Substances 1971.
- * United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, 1988.
Narcotics Control Bureau – Legislative Framework
The broad legislative policy in the matter is contained in the three Central Acts, viz.
- Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940,
- The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985,
- The Prevention of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1988.
1 The responsibility of drug abuse control, which is a central function, is carried out through a number of Ministries, Departments and Organisations.
2 These include Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue which is having the nodal co-ordination role as administrator of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985 and the Prevention of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1988.
3. The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985 which came into effect from the 14th November, 1985 made an express provision for constituting a Central Authority for the purpose of exercising the powers and functions of the Central Government under the Act.
4. In exercise of the powers, the NARCOTICS CONTROL BUREAU was constituted with Headquarters at Delhi with effect from the 17th March, 1986. The Bureau, subject to the supervision and control of the Central Government, is to exercise the powers and functions of the Central Government for taking measures with respect to:
a) Co-ordination of actions by various offices, State Governments and other authorities under the N.D.P.S. Act, Customs Act, Drugs and Cosmetics Act and any other law for the time being in force in connection with the enforcement provisions of the NDPS Act, 1985.
b) Implementation of the obligation in respect of counter measures against illicit traffic under the various international conventions and protocols that are in force at present or which may be ratified or acceded to by India in future.
c) Assistance to concerned authorities in foreign countries and concerned international organisations to facilitate coordination and universal action for prevention and suppression of illicit traffic in these drugs and substances.
d) Coordination of actions taken by the other concerned Ministries, Departments and Organisations in respect of matters relating to drug abuse.
5. The Narcotics control Bureau is the apex coordinating agency.
It also functions as an enforcement agency through its field units located at Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta, madras, Varanasi, Jodhpur, chandigarh, Jammu, Ahmedabad, Imphal and Tiruvananthapuram.
The Zonal Units collect and analyses data related to seizures of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substance, study of trends, modus operandi, collection and dissemination of intelligence and work in close cooperation with the Customs, State Police and other law enforcement agencies.
The assistance provided by the Bureau has been acknowledged by other Governments and many international bodies.