· Sixteen Central Universities have been established which include conversion of three State universities in Chattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand. All of them have become functional.
Indian Institute of Management
· Established seven Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and all of them have become functional.
Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
· Eight new IITs in Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Orissa, Punjab, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh have commenced their academic activities. Land for these IITs has been identified and all, except Gandhinagar and Indore, have taken up construction of their permanent campuses.
Indian Institutes of Information Technology ((IIITs) under (PPP) mode
· 20 IIITs and approximately 1000 polytechnics are proposed to be set up under this mode. 15 State Governments have identified land for setting up of the Institute. In four cases, the State Governments have also identified the industry partners.
National Institutes of Technology (NITs) in each of the larger States/ UTs
· The Government has established 10 new NITs at Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Goa, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Puducherry. As on date, there are approximately 1600 students pursuing undergraduate programmes.
Indian Institutes of Science Education & Research (IISERs)
· Five IISERs, with objective of promoting excellence in science education have been established in Mohali (Punjab), Kolkata (West Bengal), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala) and Pune (Maharashtra).
· During the last 3 years, Education Exchange Programme (EEP)/MOUs have been signed with 12 countries, bringing the total number of such exchanges to 41.
Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace & Sustainable Development
· Agreement has been signed with UNESCO for establishment of Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace & Sustainable Development This is first Category-I Institute of UNESCO in the entire Asia-Pacific Region established at New Delhi. It will serve as a platform for India to emerge as a global leader in the areas of education for Peace and Sustainable Development.
Establishment of Centre of Excellence for Studies in Classical Kannada and Telugu
· These research centres identify sources of classical Kannada/Telugu languages to promote, propagate and preserve.
Modernization of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
· On its Diamond Jubilee a one-time special assistance of Rs. 100.00 crore has been released for modernization of IIT-Kharagpur.
· Out of 300 un-served/under-served districts, 281 have been provided a partial financial assistance of Rs.1915.99 crores till 12.11.2012.
· A partial financial assistance of Rs.255.50 crores for Strengthening of existing polytechnics has been provided to 500 polytechnics under the Scheme till 31.08.2012.
· Out of 500 existing AICTE approved polytechnic 487 polytechnics have been provided partial financial assistance of Rs.241.60 crore till 31st August, 2012.
· 2.20 lakh persons have availed training under the Community development through polytechnics scheme during financial year 2011-12. An amount of Rs. 127.98 crores has been released under this scheme till 31st August, 2012.
· More than 2.5 Lakh have been given training in four Regional Boards of Apprenticeship/Practical Training (BOATs/BPOT) located at Mumbai, Kolkata, Kanpur and Chennai during last three years.
National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology
· A total of 400 Universities and 19069 Colleges have been provided with connectivity under the scheme as on 31.10.2012.
Low Cost Access-cum-Computing Devices (LCAD)
· The Low Cost Access-cum-computing Devices, ‘AAKASH-2’ has been launched by Hon’ble President of India on 11.11.2012 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. Aakash-2 is powered by processor running at 1Ghz., has 512 MB RAM, a 7” capacitive touch screen and a battery which works for 3 hours.
N-LIST (National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content)
· As of now more than 74,000 e-books from 297 publishers and 3700 e-Journals are available to 1,08,729 students associated to 1,512 Institutions. Similarly for University students more than 7,500 e-Journals to students associated to 297 Institutions are available from INFLIBNET & IIT Delhi. Full text e-Thesis numbering 2224 and more is also available on the INFLIBNET network.
· On 23rd February 2012 89 Virtual labs were launched for quality enhancement so that the learners in distance education system and remotely located & backward areas can reap the benefit of quality and relevant education, through ICT mode.
Interest subsidy on Educational Loans
· The scheme, based solely on income criteria and not social background, has become effective from academic year 2009-10. An amount exceeding Rs.800 crores has been released by Government for benefiting about 2155831 students till 31st August, 2012.
National Book Promotion Policy
· The draft of National Book Promotion Policy has been approved by Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) in its 58th meeting held on 7th June 2011.
Higher Education for Minorities
· Academies for professional development of Urdu Medium Teachers have been set up in three Central Universities viz (i) Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) (ii) Jamia Milia Islamia (JMI) and (iii) Maulana Azad National Urdu University.
· Rs.61.31 crores has been sanctioned for establishment of ‘Residential Coaching Academics for Minorities, Women/SCs/STs”.
· Two new campuses of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) have become operational at Murshidabad in West Bengal and Malappuram, Kerala.
· University Grants Commission has sanctioned 284 women hostels in colleges in 90 Minority Concentrated Districts/Area during XI Plan.
· 374 Minority concentrated Districts/Areas have been identified for Establishment of Model Degree Colleges. Approval has been granted to 14 model degree colleges.
· An amount of Rs.232.67 crore has been released as initial grants for setting up polytechnics in 46 districts out of 57 districts.
Education of Scheduled Castes /Scheduled Tribes
· Remedial Coaching at UG/PG level
· Coaching Classes to prepare for National Eligibility Test (NET)
· Coaching Classes for Entry in Services
· Establishment of SC/ ST Cells in Universities to safeguard their interest.
· Establishment of Equal Opportunity Cells (EOCs) for sensitizing university/college community on problems faced by SC/ST students in higher education.
· Post-Graduate Scholarships to SCs/STs and Minorities
· Post-Doctoral Fellowships for SCs/STsMeasures Initiated by the IITs To Prevent any Form of Caste-Based Discrimination
· Regional Centre of Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkantak, M.P.has been inaugurated on 9th September, 2009 in Manipur with the launch of M. Phil programme of Political Science.
Education of Women
· Establishment of Day Care Centres in Universities and Colleges.
· Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child for pursuing Higher and Technical Education
· Construction of Women Hostels for Colleges
· Development of Women’s Studies in Universities and Colleges
· Capacity Building for Women Managers in Higher Education
· Post-doctoral Fellowships for Women