Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana is a Insurance cover to Handloom Weavers
Bunkar Bima Yojana‟ introduced in 2003 which was a combination of Janshree Bima Yojana and Add-on Group Insurance Scheme being implemented in collaboration with the Life Insurance Corporation of India. Since, 2005-06 this scheme was revised and has been implemented revised with title “Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Yojana”.
The scheme will cover 26.19 lakh weavers during the period 2012-13 to 2016-17 including maximum renewal cases each year.
Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana – Objective
“Mahatama Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana‟ is to provide enhanced insurance cover to the handloom weavers in the case of natural as well as accidental death and in cases of total or partial disability.
Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana – Elgibility
- The weaver should be earning at least 50% of his income from handloom weaving.
- All weavers, whether male or female, between the age group of 18 and 59 years are eligible to be covered under the scheme, including minorities, women weavers and weavers belonging to NER.
- The weavers belonging to the State Handloom Development Corporations/Apex/ Primary Handloom Weavers‟ Cooperative Societies will be covered under the Scheme.
- Weavers outside co-operative can also be covered under the scheme on a certificate from the State Directorate of Handlooms that they are fulfilling the eligibility conditions.
- It will be the responsibility of the State Director in charge of Handlooms to verify the eligibility of the weavers who are proposed to be covered under the scheme.
- It will be the responsibility of the State Director In charge and LIC to ensure that women weavers, weavers belonging to minorities and weavers of NER States (Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim) are given adequate representation while implementing the scheme
Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana – Administration:
The authority in-charge of Handlooms in the State shall finalise insurance coverage of the weavers with the Life Insurance Corporation of India.
Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana – FEATURES OF THE INSURANCE COVERAGE:
- The scheme will be administered by the LIC of India.
- The authority in-charge of Handlooms in the State shall finalise insurance coverage of the weavers with the Life Insurance Corporation of India.
The annual premium of Rs.470/- per member will be shared as under:
|Weavers‟ contribution||Rs. 80/-|
- The “Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana” also provides scholarship to the children of parents who are covered under it under “Shiksha Sahyog Yojana”.
- It may be ensure that the bright and scholary students from weaver community getting benefits under MGBBY – Siksha Sahayog Yojana need to be brought to limelight so as to encourage the children of the other weaver families to emulate them.
- The beneficiaries have to be selected for “Shiksha Sahayog Yojana” out of the members covered under Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana. The targeted beneficiary students of a State may be divided among the members covered under Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana in proportion to the number of lives covered within that State. The final selection shall be based on the criteria of poorest of the poor, as the number of scholarships is limited and without any gender discrimination