Information Network for Animal Productivity & Health (INAPH), developed by Animal Husbandary
National Dairy Development Board – NDDB , has developed an Information Network for Animal Productivity & Health (INAPH), a Desktop/ Netbook / Android Tablet based field IT application that facilitates the capturing of real time reliable data on Breeding, Nutrition and Health Services delivered at farmer’s doorstep.
• It provides a tool for farmers, field functionaries, Union, Federation, NDDB to assess and monitor the progress of the project
Need for the Information Network for Animal Productivity & Health (INAPH)
Dairying is an important sector in our country. We are the highest milk producer in the world, but productivities of our animals are low.
To be competitive, we will have to increase productivity and efficiency of resource use. Besides building an infrastructure for making available quality semen, cattle feed, fodder seeds, vaccines etc. to farmers for improving the productivity and health of their animals, the modern tools of information technology and telecommunications will have to be welded with these services to provide reliable, easy-to-access and timely information to farmers, service providing organizations and policy makers for informed decision making at all levels.
Improving productivity of animals requires building of infrastructure for producing quality bulls through genetic improvement programmes, producing semen from high quality bulls and making it available to farmers at their door-step so that their animals are bred with high quality semen, building of infrastructure for producing cattle feed, feed supplements, fodder seed etc.
so that it provides balanced nutrition to their animals, and building of infrastructure for creating facilities for veterinary treatment, disease diagnosis, vaccination, de-worming etc. so that it protects their animal against prevalent diseases.
Information Network for Animal Productivity & Health (INAPH) – Services:
Animal Breeding :
INAPH application is being used in various projects implemented by NDDB in partnership with milk unions and AI service providers as well as agencies implementing ration balancing programmes.
Ration Balancing Programme :
Ration Balancing Programme (RBP) can be implemented with the help of dairy cooperatives, producer companies, service providing organizations (NGOs) etc. Efforts to popularise the concept of RBP on a large scale are continued.
Animal Health :
• The Animal Health sub-module of INAPH is designed to capture the entire gamut of activities related to health that is usually carried out on the animal. The data capturing is broadly based on:
(a)Individual activity- wherein entering the unique identification number (tag no.) of each animal is mandatory
(b) Mass activity– wherein it would suffice to record the village, species and number of animals etc, without the need to individually identify each animal.
Laboratories are vital component of this domain. While providing the services to the farmer, samples of feed, fodder, milk, pathology etc are collected for different types of examinations and analysis required.
A unique sample ID is generated by the application, whenever any sample is collected in the field and transaction is recorded in the system. Later on this sample ID is used for further processing in the application.
Information Network for Animal Productivity & Health (INAPH) -Benefits:
• Unique identification of animal along with the pedigree facts, lactation yields and owner details
• Record keeping of all activities related to Breeding, Nutrition& Health Identification of superior bull & elite female.
• Tracking disease outbreak & disease pattern for different species/breed/village/district.
• Healthier/productive animals increase earning of farmers.
• Assess the efficiency & effectiveness of AI services & Ration Balancing Advisory Services.
• Monitor and follow up genetic improvement programmes.